Filed under News, Photos, Showcase

Glossing it up: McGowan gymnasium ready for use after months of renovations (Photos)

After 6 months of renovations and construction,  the McGowan gymnasium is finally open and ready for use by students.  

The full remodel included new bleachers, ceiling, floors, locker rooms and athletic training rooms. 

Michael Black, the head principal of Carlisle High School, shared his enthusiasm about the changes in the gym and the support it can provide for athletes.

“The greatest thing about the new gymnasium is the new up-to-date locker rooms,” Black said. “It will give our kids a nicer space for getting ready for gym and for games.  This will also give our kids the facilities they deserve.”

Steven Wisner, one of the physical education teachers for upperclassmen at CHS, is also excited about the gym. He feels the new gym is something students can be proud of.

“I think that the students will really enjoy having a class in a new facility, and will really take pride in it as well,” Wisner said.“I also think that the new floors, ceiling design, and bleachers make the gym an attractive addition to the school.”  

Students are also excited about the completion of the new gym. Many believe that it would create more enthusiasm for sports events held in the gym.

“The new gym will bring a lot of positive energy for the fans and players,” Dylan Young, a freshman basketball player, said. “The anticipation and the look of it are awesome.”  

An opposing point to the new gym was the hefty $3M cost. Wisner believes that the new gym was worth the cost, however.

“The gym was very outdated and now the renovation should last for a long time,” Wisner said.

What do you think about the gym?  Share your thoughts in the comments below.

About the Contributors
Michael Raphael, Staff writer

Michael Raphael is currently a freshman at Carlisle Area High School, and this is his first year on Periscope staff. He will write for various sections...

Lillianne Hogsten, Photography Editor

Lillianne Hogsten is currently a senior at Carlisle High School and the Photography Editor for Periscope this year. Not only is she a photographer/writer...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Glossing it up: McGowan gymnasium ready for use after months of renovations (Photos)”

1. Condor Hall on November 28th, 2018 3:00 pm

I am so glad that they finally finished it! It looks so nice, and will be perfect for gym class and future basket games!

2. Zoe Spielman on January 14th, 2019 12:26 pm

The new gym looks really nice but some sports teams are limited to what they can do. For example, gym classes can’t play floor hockey and field hockey practice cannot happen in the new gym due to the risk of scratching the floor up. This makes it hard for outdoor sports teams to do indoor practices when the weather is inclement.

3. Abbey Birely on January 14th, 2019 2:47 pm

I don’t spend the most time in the gym ( i am exempt from PE because of ballet) but what I’ve seen of the gym it looks really nice and the old gym definitely seemed outdated. it was really annoying having to wait for so long and having the homecoming dance moved back and having the gym classes moved,but otherwise the gym seems like a good edition and hopefully worth the money, as far as gym goes lol.

• Glossing it up: McGowan gymnasium ready for use after months of renovations (Photos)

2019 Periscope Teacher Superlative Survey

Testing on their home turf: Academic decathlon team competes at states

The last hurrah: Students to audition for Senior Renaissance

Making students immune: Temple’s mumps outbreak brings vaccines to minds of students

Parlez-vous Francais? Alwine to spend a year abroad in France

Keeping students safe: new school security measures put into place

A ‘latte’ goodbyes: Preparing for the Last Drop

Thundering Herd takes on Regional History Day

Remembering Kyle: Scholarship to be dedicated in memory of CHS alum

Mind the gap: Addressing the $3 million budget gap