Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Scarlett Learned
Scarlett Learned
Staff Writer

The Fashion Lineup!: Top 5 Golden Globe Looks

On January 7th, the 81st annual Golden Globe Awards were held in Beverly Hills, California to honor accomplishments in recent films. There are many actors and exceptional people in the film industry who are nominated in a number of categories, but before the applause at the ceremony, celebrity red carpet fashion is the main event.

Many weeks of preparation go into these extravagant outfits, so naturally they seem to be the real star of the show for viewers at home. In this article, I will be ranking the top five Golden Globe outfits of 2024.

Finishing at number five is Dua Lipa’s Haute couture outfit. Dua Lipa was a presenter at the Golden Globes and a nominee for Best Original Song for the Barbie movie. She was wearing a dress designed by Daniel Roseberry. This designer is the artistic director for Schiaparelli, a Parisian couture house. His biography can be found on Schiaparelli website, Daniel Roseberry. In the past Roseberry has designed for Beyoncé, Michelle Obama, and Kim Kardashian. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by DUA LIPA (@dualipa)

For this look, Roseberry designed a boned corset for a sleek silhouette. This black gown is adorned with diamond and gold embroidered bones on the upper half and has an umbrella skirt that adds volume to the bottom. For accessories, Lipa has a gold chain necklace that is an archival from Tiffany & Co., along with Jimmy Choo heels. This gown was perfect because it fit with the aesthetic of her new single “Houdini.” Black and gold are complimentary colors that never fail to make any gown elegant.

Following at number four is Selena Gomez. Gomez, lead role in the Hulu show “Only Murders in the Building,” wore a custom dress by Armani Privé. This ensemble was inspired by Armani’s Fall-Winter 24 Collection. Her outfit was a red satin asymmetrical hemline gown. The top of the dress had a crisscross cutout pattern right through the middle bust along with sequined black flowers. She accessorized with a black belt and red satin pointed heels. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Selena Gomez (@selenagomez)

The colors red and black are commonly paired together, not only for their appearance, but for their meaning. The symbolism of the combination of red and black typically represents love and conspiracy. With this symbolism in mind, it changes the ambiance of the dress itself. The dress’ meaning can correlate to the stars’ real-life events, but a dress with this much symbolism needed to be shared. 

Coming in at third place is Barry Keoghan. Dressed in custom Louis Vuitton, he was nominated for Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Motion Picture. On the red carpet, he was wearing a red and black checkered Louis Vuiton suit. His suit is inspired by the Men’s SS24 Show®. The outfit had a checkered gingham pattern throughout the suit jacket and pants. The suit jacket was cropped and accessorized with a vintage Tiffany & Co. diamond brooch. With this being said, all of Keoghan’s accessories were supplied by Tiffany and Co. The brooch of the suit jacket added that finishing touch to this ensemble. Keoghan showed up and showed out on this red carpet. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Barry Keoghan (@keoghan92)

At number two, sits Jennifer Lopez. Jlo wore a gown custom-made by Nicole + Felicia strapless baby pink gown with off the shoulder rose sleeves. Her outfit was inspired by Nicole+Felicia’s Fall-Winter Bridal collection. Since renewing her romance with actor Ben Affleck, she wore this gown inspired by Felicia+Nicole bridal collection. This bridal inspired gown hints at her engagement with Affleck.The gown included a long train that added that elegant touch and extended the rose sleeves. Jlo is covered head to toe with Boucheron jewels, all being about 34 karats. Jlo’s eye-catching gown was the baby pink dream of the event. 

Jlo’s floral gown perfectly complemented her hair and makeup and set the right vibe for the red carpet and the proximity of spring. Making the fabric of the dress matte was the perfect material for a simple gown like this one. The added accessory of the blinged out clutch gave that touch of Jlo that we were looking for.

And finally at number one, the Barbie of the moment, Margot Robbie. Following her blockbuster movie, Barbie, she walked the red carpet in pink style. She wore a hot pink sequined floor-length gown inspired by 1977 Superstar Barbie, designed by Giorgio Armani Privé. Robbie topped her look with a glitter ruffle boa in the same fuchsia as the dress, and $3 million pink and white diamonds by Lorraine Schwartz Jewelry

Following the release of Barbie in July of 2023, Robbie has since rocked every red carpet with a Barbie inspired outfit. This look was by far the most different style of dress at the Golden Globes. While other celebrities went for an elegant or abstract look, Margot went for an eccentric glam look. She really is the Barbie of the year.

At this year’s Golden Globe Awards ceremony, many celebrities showed up in attention grabbing outfits, but there are always a few that stick out from the rest of the lineup. This year those few were Dua Lipa, Selena Gomez, Barry Keoghan, Jennifer Lopez, and Margot Robbie, with their show-stopping silk and sparkly ensembles. These looks were most certainly worth mentioning this year, so hopes are high for what next years’ red carpet holds!