What-to-Watch: Must See Spring Movies

Myana Brown

Flowers on the trees begin to bloom, signifying the start of spring.

Myana Brown, Staff Writer

Spring is here, bringing warmer weather, fragrant flowers, and all of the sunshine.  Entertainment plays a large role in this seasonal transition, and all of the films on this list have a springtime feel. Every movie reviewed is rated out of 5 flowers. The more flowers it has, the better the spring vibes.

The Sandlot (1993)

Rating: PG

Runtime: 1h 41m

Genres: Comedy, Family, Drama, Sport

Starring: Tom Guiry, Mike Vitar, Art LaFleur

Where To Watch: Starz, Prime Video

About: Scottie Smalls moves to a new neighborhood and meets a group of kids playing baseball. He soon becomes a part of the group and they go on various adventures, mostly notably facing a dog called the Beast. 

Springtime Feel: Major League Baseball resumes in the spring, making the content is seasonally appropriate. All coming of age movies also feel like springtime as they deal with new beginnings. (3/5 flowers)

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Rating: PG-13

Runtime: 1h 37m

Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Starring: Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Where To Watch: Disney+, FuboTV, ABC, Freeform

About: When new student, Cameron, arrives to Pauda High and lays eyes on Bianca Stratford, he makes it his goal to date her. However, he finds out she can’t date until her older sister Kat does. Cameron’s goal is to set Kat up with someone so he is able to take Bianca to prom. 

Springtime Feel: The movie is set in spring and revolves around prom, making it perfect viewing for this time of year. The cinematography being bright only adds to the spring vibes in the movie. (4.5/5 flowers). 

Mean Girls (2004)

Rating: PG-13

Runtime: 1h 37m

Genres: Comedy, Teen

Starring: Lindsay Lohan, Jonathan Bennett, Rachel McAdams

Where To Watch: Paramount+, Pluto TV, Prime Video

About: New girl, Cady,  joins an elite social group called the Plastics, which is led by the ultimate mean girl, Regina George.  As Cady navigates shallow high school cliques, she falls for Regina’s ex-boyfriend and discovers that real friends matter most.

Springtime Feel: Mean Girls is a classic movie that everyone has seen. Towards the end, a ‘Spring Fling’ dance is held and the whole movie focuses on the girls’ senior year. (3/5 flowers )

Palm Springs (2020)

Rating: R

Runtime: 1h 30m

Genres: Sci-Fi, Fantasy

Starring: Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti, J.K. Simmons

Where To Watch: Hulu

About: While at a wedding in Palm Springs, two wedding guests end up stuck in a time loop and must figure out a way to end it. 

Springtime Feel: As the movie is set in a popular vacation destination, it helps the viewer get in the mood for springtime. The bright colors used in the poster and the movie itself are gorgeous and remind me of spring break. (3.5/5 flowers)

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

Rating: PG-13

Runtime: 1h 43m

Genres: Comedy, Romance

Starring: Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara
Where To Watch: Paramount+, Showtime, Prime Video
About: A high school student who wants a day off, forms an elaborate plan to skip school. However, his principal suspects he is playing hooky and spends the whole day on his trail. 

Springtime Feel: This movie reminds the viewer a lot of the last few weeks of school where all they want to do is go on summer break. The avoidance of school really aids to that. (4/5 flowers)

Can’t Buy Me Love (1987)

Rating: PG-13

Runtime:1h 34m

Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Starring: Patrick Dempsey, Amanda Peterson, Courtney Gaines

Where To Watch: Prime Video

About: When Cindy ruins her mother’s designer dress, Ronald comes to her rescue and agrees to pay for it if she agrees to act as a couple for one month.

Springtime Feel: Almost all romance movies give the vibe of spring as it is the starting of something new. This movie also involves a prom scene which signifies spring and the end of the school year. (3.5/5 flowers)

The Lorax (2012)

Rating: PG 

Runtime: 1h 26m

Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Family

Starring: Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Danny DeVito

Where To Watch: Netflix, Prime Video

About: Set in a dystopian future with no trees, teenage Ted wants to impress his dream girl who longs for Truffula Trees. He goes on a journey to find one and meets the Onceler who tells him the sordid story of how trees went extinct. 

Springtime Feel: The bright and fluffy trees and the theme of keeping the Earth healthy and beautiful allow the spring feel to come through. (4.5/5 flowers)