Filed under A&E, Movies, Reviews, Showcase

Live-action remake of ‘Dumbo’ flies into theaters (Review)

After+80+years%2C+Disney+has+released+a+live+action+film+of+Dumbo.++The+film+kept+many+of+the+heart+warming+scenes%2C+while+making+changes+to+other+scenes.++

After 80 years, Disney has released a live action film of Dumbo.  The film kept many of the heart warming scenes, while making changes to other scenes.

After 80 years, Disney has released a live action film of Dumbo. The film kept many of the heart warming scenes, while making changes to other scenes.

IMDb

IMDb

IMDb

Originally released in 1941, almost 80 years later Dumbo has flown back into theaters capturing our hearts once again.

The live-action remake focuses more on the human characters involved in the story. In the original, Dumbo spoke and the story was told through his point of view. The 2019 version shows Dumbo as a slightly more realistic elephant. The remake also illustrates a romance that was not in the 1941 version.

The original has had many controversies come to light, in recent years. The director of the live-action remake, Tim Burton, addressed these controversies with a new ending to eliminate the animals shown in captivity. Burton removed racist stereotypes depicted through crows, and edited the scene about alcohol consumption that caused questions about alcohol consumption.

Four generations have had the opportunity to marvel at the original and critique their least favorite parts: now the newest generation will get the chance to do the same for the live-action version. I, along with others in my generation, grew up watching the classic Dumbo.

Obvious things were wrong with the movie, however, iconic scenes such as the pink elephants were created through a controversial scene. The director of the live-action remake, Tim Burton, excellently brought the pink elephants to life without the controversial consumption of alcohol.

Disney

Personally, I remember the moment I watched Dumbo’s drunken hallucinations that resulted in the amazing array of elephants dancing around my television screen. Rather than through a drunken hallucination, Burton used light-capturing bubbles in the shape of elephants that danced around the circus ring.

While in the theater, watching the live-action remake, I could hear awes and gasps, in the otherwise silent theater, from the newest generation. The moment that I remember, so clearly, from my childhood, I could hear around me happening in the younger generation’s. The revised version of the pink elephants did not lack the encapsulating and awe-inducing element that the original offered.

The new version of  Dumbo managed to capture the heart-breaking moment of Dumbo being separated from his mother, equally as well as the original. The somber tears that I had shed as a child had appeared once again but on the face of a different little girl in the theater.

Dumbo managed to bring four generations the sadness and happiness of the original and the remake. I highly recommend that everyone of all ages see the remake. I praise the director’s ability to fix past mistakes and make the movie enjoyable for generations to come. 

Kaycee Johnson, Staff Photographer

Kaycee Johnson is a staff photographer and occasional writer. She recently moved here from Lower Dauphin where she was active in the school newspaper....