Filed under A&E, Music, Reviews

Local rapper gets big break: ‘Life of a Dark Rose’

Lil Skies is a rising star from small town Pennsylvania. He recently released his new mixtape,

Lil Skies is a rising star from small town Pennsylvania. He recently released his new mixtape, "Life of a Dark Rose."

Maddison Young

Maddison Young

From his early days of uploading music to Soundcloud to now opening up for Fetty Wap, selling out shows, and getting calls from Gucci Mane, it’s safe to say that Lil Skies is now the next big thing.

Kimetrius Foose, also know as Lil Skies, a 19-year-old rapper from Waynesboro Pennsylvania, released a mixtape January 10, titled Life of a Dark Rose. Months before dropping this album, he signed with Atlantic Records with multiple cosigns from the CUFBOYS.  

While this is the first album/mixtape that Lil Skies released, he has had multiple singles on his Soundcloud account and some are on Apple music.

Life of a Dark Rose consists of 14 songs of trap and rhythmic vibe music with the sound of success in his voice.

Lil Skies raps about succeeding for his little brother and his mother. In the first song on the mixtape, “Welcome to the Rodeo,” Skies said, “I said brother hold it down and soon we’ll all be living large.”

Skies also said, “I just wanna be stable, tell my family we made it” in the same song.

Despite growing up around music, Lil Skies made it big on his own. He dropped out of Shippensburg University to peruse his rapping career.

In his song, “Tell my Haters,” he says, “Takin chances that they told me that I shouldn’t take” because everybody used to tell him to give up his dream and he’d never be anything big.

Soon later he got a chance to open for Fetty Wap.

Lil Skies is proof that big dreams can come true even from small towns. His new mixtape is available on iTunes, Spotify, Soundcloud, and YouTube.

About the Contributors
Releigh Norrell, Staff Writer
Releigh Norrell is currently a sophomore at Carlisle Area High School and this is her second year on staff. Releigh loves dogs and spending time with her friends. Releigh also loves fall and winter.
Maddison Young, A&E Writer
Maddison Young is a first year staff member and is a senior this year.  She is the junior editor of the Arts and Entertainment section.  She did Oracle sophomore year and decided to switch to Periscope for senior year to try something new.  She likes to lay field hockey and lacrosse and she also swims. Maddison plans to...