Education leads to better understanding

February 19, 2019

According to Carlisle Health II teacher Jason Moyer, sexual assault prevention/education has always been an important part of the class’ curriculum. Moyer said that he teaches students about what consent is, how to prevent the creation of toxic relationships, and about the damage sexual assault can do to a person.

“Understanding the prevalence of sexual assaults in society and the irreversible damage it does to the victims is first and foremost,” said Moyer.  “In addition, the understanding of true consent can help reduce sexual coercion and violence. Sexual violence is a problem in young relationships because teens are not entirely clear on what consent really means.”

Moyer said that most students are unaware of the reality of sexual assault.

“I think most students have been alarmed at the prevalence of sexual assaults on college campuses,” he said. Studies show that education on consent and sexual assault, like that given by CHS health teachers, is key to preventing sexual assault.

According to a 2011 study conducted at the University of Northern Iowa, sexual education that includes information specific to sexual assault helps students be more understanding of victims of sexual assault, and less likely to believe “rape myths,” or misconceptions on sexual assault.

“This study’s findings clearly suggest that sexual assault education can be significantly effective with just a single class session and discussion devoted to sexual assault, accompanied by student presentations,” Jessica Ueland wrote in her honors thesis for the University of Northern Iowa, “Effects of Sexual Assault Education on College Students’ Rape-Supportive Attitudes.”

Moyer said he hopes the education provided by the school will help students better understand who is to blame for sexual assault.

“We must collectively stop blaming the victims of sexual misconduct and turn that blame solely on the individuals committing the crimes,” Moyer said.