CHS swimmers take on Districts

February 28, 2015

After a successful season, the CHS swim team is sending 6 swimmers to Districts this weekend for a total of 8 events.

Senior Noah Chirico is swimming the 50 free (23rd seed) and the 100 free (30th seed). Freshman CJ Berg is swimming the 100 breast stroke (18th seed). Junior Daniel Madio is also swimming the 100 breast stroke (27th seed). Freshman Grace Lippert is swimming the 50 free (17th seed) and the 100 free (14th seed). Sophomore Elizabeth Young is swimming the 50 free (31st seed). Freshman Maddison Young is swimming the 50 free (32nd seed). (Story continues after slideshow)

Sophomore Elizabeth “Shorty” Young said, “I have[n’t] been this excited to swim in a meet in a while.”

Young may be excited but some of the freshmen who are swimming their first Districts are both excited and nervous.

“It’s a nerve-racking experience but I’m very excited,” said freshman Grace Lippert.

Laura McIlhenny is a CHS diver who has been very successful in post season competition. Last weekend, McIlhenny competed in the District III Diving competition at Governor Mifflin. She placed 6th, with top 5 advancing to States. McIlhenny also broke the school record for the 6 Dive Competition this season, a record that stood since 1984.

Coach Ann Berg is very proud of Laura’s accomplishments as a sophomore. “As Laura is a sophomore, this promises good things for the next 2 years,” said Berg.

Hershey, Wilson, Hempfield and Cumberland Valley are expected to give strong showings at Districts. Despite these numbers Carlisle has had the largest number of individual District qualifiers since the 2005-2006 season.

Carlisle is expected to do well this weekend at the District III AAA Swim Meet. Three of the swimmers that qualified this year were freshmen, and this shows a great promise for future seasons’ success as well.

View Comments (2)
$215
$500

About the Contributors
Photo of Rowan Young
Rowan Young, Editor-in-Chief

Rowan Young is in her third year as a member of the Periscope staff.  She will be serving as the Editor-in-Chief on staff this year! In her free time...

Photo of Clara Cozort
Clara Cozort, Art Director, Social Media Co-Director

This is Clara Cozort's third year on staff for Periscope! Clara has taken on the roll of being Art Director and Co-Director of social media. While she...

Photo of Nikki Marshall
Nikki Marshall, News writer/photographer

Nikki Marshall is a junior at Carlisle High School. She just moved here from El Paso, Texas. She is a self-described military brat who is very creative...

Periscope • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$215
$500

• S

Sarah frenchMar 27, 2015 at 4:32 pm

I am also a swimmer and a part of the CHS swim team. I think it’s awesome we had several swimmers make it to districts, they had the opportunity to show off carlsile swim! So glad they did well 🙂

Reply
  • A

Alyssa BourneMar 3, 2015 at 10:07 am

As the manager of the swim team, I am very proud of all the swimmers this year. We had a great team and sending the swimmers and diver to districts shows that the team has gotten stronger, even with the change of coaching. GOOD HERD!

Reply
2