Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Cover that shoulder: Student perspectives on the dress code

From crop tops, leggings, fingertip lengths shorts, to shirts that expose shoulders, students have been debating for many years about what they deem as appropriate for school.

CHS students have weighed in their opinion on the school’s dress code about whether they perceive its rules to be fair or biased.  Some students believe that it is too extreme and strict towards certain groups of people, like how females are not allowed to show any shoulders, while there are others that feel no changes are necessary.

Sophomore Abby Otto believes that the dress code is sexist against the female body. 

“Only girls get into trouble for not following the dress code,” said Otto. “Last year I was sick, throwing up, and [I] had to go to the nurse, but she saw my crop top, told me to change and sent me back to class still sick without giving me medicine, taking my temperature, or anything.”

Olivia Lane, who is currently a junior, also believes that the dress code is more directed towards the female body than the male body.

When Lane asked what changes she would make, she said, “Give the girls more leniency in the types of straps they can wear because it’s not bothering anyone. The guys should be more forced to wear belts because a lot of them have saggy pants and no one is yelling at them.”  

Senior Jamari Brown agreed.

“People should be able to wear whatever they want because it’s not a distraction to anyone,” said Brown.

The biggest problem that students seem to have with the school dress code is that they believe the dress code regulations are aimed more towards females than male.  Some students have no issue with what dress code requirements are.

Sophomore Elizabeth Schuck believes that “it’s fair” and “the shoulder [rule] isn’t that big of a deal.”  

Tyler Sandoval, who is a sophomore, said, “The school dress code at school isn’t too strict which is perfect.”

In the CHS Student Handbook, the dress code regulations section says, “Clothing that exposes personal body parts or attract undue attention are not allowed.”  

Some of the clothing items included in this category are “tank tops, stomach shirts, and short skirts and shorts that do not reach tips of fingertips when arms are extended at the waist.”   

Freshman Mykaela Ocampo said, “Shoulders aren’t distracting… and for guys, the sagging pants rule should be enforced more.”

Carlisle High School’s dress code brings up concerns and opinions about fairness between the school’s students. The controversy of what’s appropriate for high school students has created a huge uproar on whether or not the dress code should be changed.

Parker Shabala, staff writer

Parker Shabala is a freshman at Carlisle Area High School and this is her first year of Periscope. She is a section staff writer this year.  At CHS, she...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Cover that shoulder: Student perspectives on the dress code”

1. Autiana Easley on September 27th, 2018 1:42 pm

I do believe that the dress code is directed more towards females, BUT I do believe that some rules that are set, the fingertip length skirts and shorts for example, are established for boundaries. If there weren’t rules set as a limit, I think there would be some girls to push it over the edge. I also agree that dress codes should enforced more strictly with males, too.

2. Lydia Roussell on September 27th, 2018 1:49 pm

I completely agree that the school dress code is biased more towards females. If you look through the dress code, most of the restrictions only apply to women like crop tops and fingertip length skirts, shorts, and dresses. However, the dress code, in my experience, has not be enforced as strictly as it is written. There are only a few teachers that actually care and enforce the dress code. In my opinion, the dress code needs to be modified, especially since the general style of clothing has changed.

3. Sarah Rendon on September 30th, 2018 9:26 pm

Although there are rules in place to maintain a professional environment for students and staff, the rules seem to be catered and applied to female outfits more than male. This teaches us to view distracting outfits as the problem instead of the people who cannot control themselves from being distracted.

4. Abbey on October 16th, 2018 11:03 am

Personally i feel like the shoulder thing isn’t that big of a deal and that boys should be able to maintain focus with a little shoulder. i mean its not like we are showing full on cleavage or anything. But I can under stand the crop top rule etc. vut no one enforces it to the degree it “should”. We spend most of our time at school and most of our fashion choices are for school, so can we not wear clothes that “flatter” our bodies and make us feel confident? I mean a little bit of skin isn’t that the worse thing in the galaxy. To be honest a guy ( or girl) can get distracted by literally anything and I think that we aren’t given as much credit in regards to “how distracting” something can be. I feel as thou people think that clothes can turn a guy or girl “on” and make them distracted, but in reality the clothes that appear at the high school are not those types of clothes for the majority. i cant speak for all clothing or all people. but seriously think about what you wear and the environment, this isn’t a club or party etc., its a school.

5. Armela Ferhatovic on October 23rd, 2018 7:57 am

I agree with the students should be able to wear what they want, but at the same time they are old enough to know what is appropriate.

• Cover that shoulder: Student perspectives on the dress code

To commit or not to commit: The difference between Early Action and Early Decision

“A Brief Inquiry” into The 1975’s new album (Review)

Perspectives

Building barriers: Why Science Fair and History Day shouldn’t be mandatory (Editorial)

Baking to make things brighter: Students support the community through Project SHARE

Glossing it up: McGowan gymnasium ready for use after months of renovations (Photos)

Sports

Kicking cancer: Richwine raises money for kids

Sports

November Athlete of the Month: Jessalyn Morrow

Sports

Early College Signing 2018 (photo)

Perspectives

Trying to do it all (Editorials)

Brewing up the First Cup: behind the scenes at Coffeehouse