• May 14The senior class' last day is May 23.

• May 14The honors banquet will take place on May 23 at 5:30 pm.

• May 14Senior Renaissance will take place on May 29 in the McGowan Auditiorium.

• May 14Matthew Oh placed first in the senior individual documentary category at state National History Day on May 10.

• May 14The 2019 edition of Oracle is availible for pickup in the cafeteria this week

• May 13Keystone Testing will take place this week (5/13-5/20). There will be an adjusted schedule most days.

Jumping through the differences: Indoor vs. outdoor track and field

Karolena Santiago

More stories from Karolena Santiago

Elijah+Ibrahim+participates+in+the+high+jump+during+an+outdoor+meet+last+season.++He+participates+in+both+indoor+and+outdoor+track+and+field+for+CHS.++

Elijah Ibrahim participates in the high jump during an outdoor meet last season.  He participates in both indoor and outdoor track and field for CHS.

Elijah Ibrahim participates in the high jump during an outdoor meet last season. He participates in both indoor and outdoor track and field for CHS.

Matthew O'Haren

Matthew O'Haren

Matthew O'Haren

Track athletes have the option of participating in indoor and/or outdoor track, depending on what season it is.  However, they do have to deal with the transitions of the season.

If athletes participate in indoor track, they most likely are also planning on participating in outdoor track.  Both sports offered at CHS have major benefits for the athletes. It depends on what the athletes prefer.

Recently we had the chance to catch up with two student-athletes who participate in both indoor and outdoor track about the two sports and the differences or similarities: Elijah Ibrahim, a senior jumper, as well as Rashad Jefferies, a sophomore jumper.   

Q1: How are the practices similar between indoor and outdoor track?

Ibrahim:  Yeah, it’s pretty much the same because we have the same coach for indoor and outdoor, so we know what to expect.  During outdoor, they could be longer because there is more sunlight.

Jefferies:  Normally they are about an hour sometimes more; it justs depends on what coach has us doing that day. It is the same for both indoor and outdoor. 

The way I see it, indoor is basically a prep season for outdoor when you have to really be ready to compete with the best. ”

— Elijah Ibrahim, senior jumper

Q2: What is one thing that is different between indoor and outdoor seasons?

Ibrahim:  One major thing is that during the outdoor season, we can take more people to the meets.  

Jefferies:  I agree, indoor offers less space.  [While] sometimes the AC in the building helps, sometimes I just like to be outside because I feel like I can actually take a run.  

Q3: What do you do to prepare for the seasons?

Ibrahim:  If it’s a returning experienced athlete, you normally just try out and make it.  The way I see it, indoor is basically a prep season for outdoor when you have to really be ready to compete with the best.  

Jefferies: I actually love to run, so I’ll go on one whenever I feel like it and that goes for year round.  

Q4: How do you feel this indoor season went?

Ibrahim: This indoor season didn’t go exactly as I planned, though I had some surprises, such as my two jumps that I’m weaker in improved significantly. Although indoor helped me get out all my kinks to be ready for the outdoor season.

Jefferies:  This indoor season went pretty good everyone had their ups and downs but as a group we did amazing.

Q5: What are you looking forward to for outdoor season?

Ibrahim: The thing that I look forward to most in outdoor is getting the chance to jump in the nice warm weather. Also, the chance to compete in meets a lot more than what I did with indoor and see a whole bunch of new people I will be competing against.

Jefferies:  The thing I am looking forward to the most is going to States because that is my goal.  

Q6: How do you feel the two seasons overlap and build off of each other?

Ibrahim: Indoor overlaps with outdoor in the sense that it prepares you for outdoor a great amount. With indoor, it [consists] more of strength workouts and a lot of practice rather than meets. So when outdoor comes up, you are in great position to really compete.

Jefferies:  As well as what [Ibrahim] said, indoor has been a prep season and allows us as a team to get more comfortable with each other.  

While the indoor season has wrapped up, Sophia Toti is continuing to compete; she will participate in the New Balance Indoor Nationals during Mar 8-10 in New York City. According to the CASD website, the outdoor season begins practices on Mar 4 where the team will prepare for their first meet on Tuesday, Mar 26 against Chambersburg.  The athletes on the team have the potential to participate in up to 16 meets within the season.

Karolena Santiago, Photographer

Karolena Santiago is currently a freshman at Carlisle Area High School.  Karolena is a sports manager for football. In her free time, she enjoys taking...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Jumping through the differences: Indoor vs. outdoor track and field”

1. Abbie Hurst on March 18th, 2019 3:55 pm

I started track my freshman year, and it has been so much fun. Everybody has their individual events but we are still like one big family. I definitely agree with how indoor track is a prep season for outdoor. I didn’t do indoor this year, but I am managing the outdoor track team this season. I cant wait to see how everyone does and I’m excited to be part of the team even if I’m not competing.

2. Grace Colestock on March 21st, 2019 10:25 am

I always knew that there was indoor and outdoor track, but I never really understood the difference until reading this article. It does make sense, though, that indoor is kind of like a precursor to outdoor. I know a lot of people who run track and they always talk about how much they love it, it truly seems like one big family.

• Jumping through the differences: Indoor vs. outdoor track and field

Shakespearean shake-up: Troupe to perform modern adaptation, ‘Love’s Labours Tossed’

2019 Periscope Teacher Superlative Survey

Perspectives

Not adding up to success: We need to set new grade expectations (Editorial)

Testing on their home turf: Academic decathlon team competes at states

Live-action remake of ‘Dumbo’ flies into theaters (Review)

Perspectives

Comforts of Carlisle: What makes it home (Editorial)

The last hurrah: Students to audition for Senior Renaissance

Showcase

Everyone loves badminton: Creative units in gym class get more people involved (Editorial)

Media

Preparing for an ‘ace’ tennis season (Photos)

Showcase

From living room to classroom: The pros and cons of attending school with siblings