• October 29Powder Puff sign ups have begun and will end 11/7. Waivers are in the main offices.

• October 2911th and 12th grade PE classes will be meeting in the McGowan Gym starting 11/5.

• October 15There will be a Club Day on 11/5.

• September 28Spirit Week has been moved to 11/12-11/16

Students should stand for the Pledge of Allegiance (Editorial)

Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance?  This writer believes you should.

Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance? This writer believes you should.

Clara Cozort

“I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America…”

The first time these words were said by students during school was on October 12, 1892 to celebrate the 400-year anniversary of Christopher Columbus’ journey to the Americas.

In 1943, the Supreme Court ruled that citizens could not be forced to say the Pledge. Still, many schools in the U.S. start the day by saying these words. However, many others choose to remain seated while their peers stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Reasons for their silent protests vary, covering anything from being foreign to disagreeing with the nation’s policies.

I believe that not standing is offensive and disrespectful (with the exceptions being foreign students or students who are injured and actually cannot stand).

I take this action very personally. My father, and thousands of men and women just like him, put their lives on the line in order to protect the nation, and to defend the rights of American citizens. To defend your rights.

Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

From my perspective, sitting down during the Pledge is inconsiderate and demonstrates the ignorance of those not participating. If you are not standing, you’re sending the message that the men and women who died in combat are irrelevant, that the sacrifices of military officers and their families don’t matter. You’re showing me that you don’t care about the people who are fighting for your right to freedom of speech, religion, and the other freedoms we have.

You may not agree with everything this country has done and is doing, but our military is the reason you have the freedom to express that. If you can’t stand for the country alone, consider the men and women who have died to protect you.

We’d like to hear from you!  Please answer our poll and let us know your thoughts in the comments section.

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Editorial” represent the views and opinions of the author, not the 2014-2015 Periscope staff, CHS Administration, or the CHS student body.

About the Contributors
Sarah Payne, Perspectives writer

Sarah Payne is in 10th grade. She works in Periscope as a Perspectives Writer. She reads, writes, and watches movies. Her favorite book is the Hobbit,...

Clara Cozort, Art Director, Social Media Co-Director

This is Clara Cozort's third year on staff for Periscope! Clara has taken on the roll of being Art Director and Co-Director of social media. While she...

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Students should stand for the Pledge of Allegiance (Editorial)”

1. Julia Vichnevetsky on February 22nd, 2015 6:18 pm

In my opinion, students should not have to say the Pledge of Allegiance. In fact, I am one of those students who does not recite the Pledge. I understand why the author and many others think that not saying the Pledge of Allegiance is rude, but being opposed to the Pledge doesn’t necessarily mean being opposed to America or those who fight to defend America. I am grateful to live in America and am thankful to those who protect it. My issue is with the Pledge itself, and not because of the controversial two words of it, “under God.” I won’t get into all of the reasons why I’m against it, my point is just that people shouldn’t consider others to be anti-American just because they won’t say the Pledge of Allegiance.

2. Laura Ferriman on February 25th, 2015 8:29 am

I agree with the author on not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance is disrespectful. Men and women go out and fight for our freedom and the least we could do is respect that. Standing for the Pledge shows honor and respect to American and to those who are out there risking their lives for us.

3. Maddie Reapsome on March 18th, 2015 2:05 pm

I completely agree with the author! Every single person goes through a situation or “rule” at school that they do not agree with or like, however, they still follow. Why is it such a big deal to show a little respect to the people who fight for this country and for the amazing country itself. Sometimes my teachers make me learn lessons or do activities that I do not think are right or agree with. However, I still respect my teachers enough to follow their way even if I don’t like it.

4. George Gilbert on March 24th, 2015 8:07 am

Interesting and bold article! I also stand for the pledge every morning too and think that it simply the most respectful thing to do for your country. However, the men and women that fight for our country every day that you mention do give everyone the freedom not to stand for the pledge, so it ultimately is one’s choice.

5. Bobby Corzine on April 7th, 2015 8:21 am

I do not stand for the pledge and I do not feel that i am disrespecting anyone. It is a personal decision to stand or not to stand for the pledge. I have family members that were in the military, I may join the military myself. I feel that by saying that it is disrespectful that someone doesn’t stand for the pledge is the same as saying that person is wrong in their PERSONAL decisions.

6. Alyssa Barnhart on April 7th, 2015 8:33 am

I agree with the author that you should have to stand for the pledge due to the fact that so many men and women go and fight for our freedom everyday although you cannot make someone do something they don’t want to do if they don’t believe in it.

7. Meg McMurdy on April 8th, 2015 2:34 pm

I have to say I do not agree with this article.
    Just like you have your personal reasons for standing, some people have their personal reasons for not standing.

Its calling the kettle black in my opinion.

I personally do stand for the pledge, but I would not call someone who sat down for the pledge disrespectful. That’s just as rude in my opinion.

8. Colin Buckley on November 12th, 2015 11:33 am

First of all we shouldn’t be proud that it started to celebrate Columbus. He was a horrendous human being. Secondly, my father is a wounded warrior, if you want to show him respect and thank him for his service, do it to his face. Respect each soldier as an individual, don’t blindly idolize the entire military. I don’t stand for the pledge, and I certainly don’t see it as disrespectful to my father or to those like him. It doesn’t symbolize respect for soldiers, and it’s tedious to continue shaming students for remaining seated.

9. Lizzie on September 4th, 2016 11:23 am

Thank you.

10. Ann on September 27th, 2017 3:01 pm

I agree with the author, students should stand at the minimum stand for the pledge. It is irreverent and disrespectful to main seated, even if the pledge references God it does not mention Christ or Christianity. God just means deity. If you are living in America you are benefiting from what the flag stands for, is you cant stand for 30 seconds to show gratitude and respect and to unify with the other people living in this nation then you should go live somewhere else. In America we are one people, united under that flag in the fight against freedom. Accept it or leave.

11. Gretal Shank on December 8th, 2017 11:22 pm

I do believe that it is right to give thanks for those who have put their lives on the line and sacrificed themselves for others. But I believe that Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice and he is the one to whom our thanks should be given. Standing for the flag is good in general, but when you think about it, is it kind of idolatry? I do not want to worship idols and the flag is a symbol to which we pledge allegiance. I will stand for America, but most importantly, I will stand for Jesus.

• Students should stand for the Pledge of Allegiance (Editorial)

Perspectives

Sudden change: What happened to anti-shooting activism? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Tech Support: Help or Hindrance? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Trying to do it all (Editorials)

Perspectives

Opening doors to the future: Electives help determine careers (Editorial)

Herd in the Halls

Herd in the Halls: standardized testing

Herd in the Halls

Herd in the Halls: the transition from paper to digital

Perspectives

Participation grades: punishment for introverts? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Two-faced: What happened when we didn’t wear makeup for a day (Editorial)

Perspectives

Just a word, or so much more? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Is protesting effective? (Editorial)