End of the year: Letter from the Editor

Rowan Young, Editor-in-Chief

Dear Reader,

I would like to start by thanking you, the reader!  Whether you have just read a few articles online or have read through all of our published news magazine, we appreciate every interaction.  Without the readers, we wouldn’t have anyone to talk to! Our publications would just be like a diary of news and media for ourselves (which would probably be a little weird).

This school year has a been a crazy one, both for myself and all other students at CHS.  I’m going to take this paragraph to talk a little bit about my own experience at CHS because after all I only have a few more days left at this fantastic school.  This is my third year on Periscope and my second year as Editor-in-Chief.  I can honestly say right now that I love Carlisle High School.  Without this school, teachers, students, events, etc, I would not be who I am today.  Without getting too emotional or sappy, I would just like to sincerely thank the teachers at CHS from the bottom of my heart for everything that they have done for me and for countless other students to change their lives.

This year in the world of athletics, CHS has set and broken records, gone into successful post season competitions, and made us all proud to bleed green and white.  In the arts community, art shows successfully highlighted the artistic stylings of many Carlisle students, productions including Cinderella and A Midsummer Night’s Dream took the stage to transport audiences to different worlds, and Coffeehouse programs brought a unique musical feel to bring the student body together. So many things happened this year that we have covered and it would be too long for me to list but those are a few highlights from this school year.

I have great respect for the Periscope staff this year as they have all grown as writers and have taken strides past their comfort zone when it comes to journalistic writing or photography.  I couldn’t be prouder of the staff and I also commend them on dealing with my leadership for the past year.  They are all going to do great things so kudos to you, Periscope writers!

Periscope produced three magazines this year and we worked under the direction of Design Editor, senior Brooklyn Norrell.  Under Brooklyn’s direction, we successfully published 2 magazines and have sent to press our final senior issue magazine.  I am immensely proud of the staff’s efforts on our magazines.  My personal favorite is the winter issue that focused on various aspects of equality.  This magazine took a lot of thought in professionally addressing hot topics in today’s society.  The staff did a wonderful job and I am very proud.

New this year, we utilized daily publishing of breaking news on Mondays, “Too Cute” Tuesdays, a poll on Wednesdays, Teacher Feature Thursdays, and “Humans of CHS” on Fridays.  This allowed us to be active on the website and on social media in our coverage and updates which would also help us with publicity.

Overall, I would like to congratulate this year’s staff on a successful year and once again thank the reader-base for supporting us and reading and commenting on our articles.  This is my last year on staff and I am sad to leave this publication behind as I move into the future, but I am confident that next year will be as bright as ever and I can’t wait to read articles and magazines from future publications.  Happy summer and congratulations to the student body for making it through the 2016-17 school year!

Sincerely,

Rowan Young

Editor-in-Chief